注册
搜索
本站邀请注册说明!
查看: 1746|回复: 8

薄膜资料(Thin film Material)连续送第2部分!(前言)

[复制链接]
发表于 2006-3-11 08:16:31 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Preface( d" p  [! ?* o% ^
Within a period of a few decades, the ¯eld of materials science and engineering9 X5 d4 M, Z( O% d2 v! v
has emerged as a focal point for developments in virtually all areas
! W2 t, t' Z. yof engineering and applied science. The study of thin film materials has
& B* S! F, Y4 z1 N0 {, wbeen one of the unifying themes in the development of the ¯eld during this, {+ i5 }$ R) v
period. As understood here, the area encompasses ¯lms bonded to relatively
" C) A8 [/ ~0 R$ T6 t3 }5 S4 lthick substrates, multilayer materials, patterned ¯lms on substrates
  A9 Z& q6 F4 A( D3 Tand free-standing ¯lms. Signi¯cant advances in methods for synthesizing  F3 b# k& S8 H
and processing these materials for ever more speci¯c purposes, as well as in
8 |% @, v$ d0 zinstrumentation for characterizing materials at ever diminishing size scales,
! M6 w* }' \1 shave been key to modern engineering progress.+ Q3 o* w# ?0 q) y, W9 |( w% ?( j* g
At the dawn of the 21st century, the United States National Academy
& M, N) h8 W! S# _9 ]of Engineering reported the outcome of a project intended to identify the
$ D$ [+ Z# C2 `  f: rtwenty most signi¯cant engineering achievements of the preceding century.
) R  M7 S0 b: a$ T1 Y/ R3 fIt is evident from the list compiled that achievements of the second half7 V! Y/ e$ a. j6 i
of the twentieth century { electronics, computers, health technologies, laser  ?* b2 l" @, x( g
and ¯ber optics, for example { were all based on the creative and e±cient1 _5 @, b+ }- o  M
exploitation of materials; thin ¯lm materials represent a major component$ x5 J- ^! g. G; e2 N
of this advance in materials technology. In fact, the impact of advances
# b! d0 f- D+ w2 A5 d$ Z7 Bin the specialized uses of materials was so pervasive in the achievements
- B' ^: j2 K- x$ h6 dbeing recognized by the Academy that the development of high-performance
5 w, ~+ i4 ^; ^) Q; c4 Z4 Pmaterials itself was included as one of the most signi¯cant achievements.
, T- l* A. }) o  v; aThe goal of this book is to summarize developments in the area of thin0 o2 ?: o7 |* Z  w: l, A
¯lm materials that have occurred over the past few decades, with emphasis
. U0 J. g7 U" H9 w! @on the generation of internal stress and its consequences. Internal stress can
1 t- D1 v2 {, C" h0 Q. _+ B' I* cinduce a variety of undesirable consequences including excessive deformation,) _( c9 e/ ]6 s' K
fracture, delamination, permanent deformation and microstructural
' J! q9 I  s  u$ walterations. In spite of these possibilities, thin ¯lms have been inserted
0 |5 o: p2 o- a: e7 Kinto engineering systems in order to accomplish a wide range of practical
+ Q% V% j' o% L9 Yxv5 ^5 K+ t0 M' C9 e- g# T0 }2 u
xvi Preface2 ?5 g7 F# j( G
service functions. Among these are microelectronic devices and packages;9 }" ~- G  s; I! `( {. q
micro-electro-mechanical systems or MEMS; and surface coatings intended
7 r( ^; M5 |4 L! \% fto impart a thermal, mechanical, tribological, environmental, optical, electrical,
! h$ G3 d% q$ ^9 g7 V8 Tmagnetic or biological function. To a large extent, the success of this
' q+ |- z; S+ Q; p. jendeavor has been enabled by research leading to reliable means for estimating: H7 c# v1 k( a& k, h2 b
stress in small material systems and by establishing frameworks in
# I, K+ [7 j! F; O' z: o1 |* wwhich to assess the integrity or functionality of the systems. The prospect
5 y- ], n. n) efor material failure due to stress continues to be a technology-limiting barrier,
  H6 H9 y: \7 F# P0 Veven in situations in which load-carrying capacity of the material is not
$ I) e/ t8 M, z9 _8 m. [, q0 jamong its primary functional characteristics. In some circumstances, stress
' _: e: y6 A2 J! S! ^) j7 l3 dhas desirable consequences, as in bandgap engineering for electronic applications
! ]$ i( G8 W2 M" c8 |and in the self-assembly of small structures driven by stored elastic% N: y1 I5 W0 L8 ]
energy. It is our hope that the information included in this book will be
) g& n/ _: }  z8 t8 @8 B) C, Ouseful as an indicator of achievements in the ¯eld and as a guide for further
4 r. S! k5 o) J% iadvances in a number of new and emerging directions.
- m+ S. @9 w7 H2 v  b/ KThe ¯rst chapter is devoted largely to a discussion of the origins of
" u4 k, d7 C1 B1 M6 E2 Sresidual stress in thin ¯lm materials and to identi¯cation of relationships" F% ^6 l8 }) k1 I
between processing methods and generation of stress. The consequences of
: _0 {6 f6 p1 {: g0 Ystress are discussed in subsequent chapters, with the presentation generally. \9 G6 L# b6 d. F
organized according to the size scale of the dominant physical phenomena
( ?4 }7 j5 ^% D1 Q6 Oinvolved. Overall deformation of ¯lm-substrate systems or multilayer structures; L* T. D, T/ j6 w, P: M
are considered in Chapters 2 and 3. This is followed by examination
5 ]6 a: C( h* v) E* _of the general failure modes of fracture, delamination and buckling of ¯lms
- `% \* k" A4 @5 e  Fin Chapters 4 and 5. The focus then shifts to a smaller scale to discuss* g8 [+ q6 d8 l' M+ k) Q' w
conditions for dislocation formation in Chapter 6 and inelastic deformation' f" ^1 r$ }) ?) t+ J, V7 S
of ¯lms in Chapter 7. Finally, the issues of stability of material surfaces1 l  g9 j# t. x& c  N
and evolution of surface morphology or alloy composition are considered in4 B* }! o6 X$ G# N
Chapters 8 and 9. The consequences of stress in thin ¯lms is linked to the; t8 O0 Y% J" s; J, L2 ~3 x
structure of the ¯lm materials wherever possible.' _  h" b( w' Q1 a- g5 P6 Y6 Q4 F
It is recognized that each of the principal topics covered in the book3 _# o) p" ^& s! N
could itself be developed into a substantial monograph, but the goal here) U6 A: ~. {6 T
is not the exhaustive treatment of a topic of limited scope. The area is2 @( f* h- |7 v3 _
inherently interdisciplinary, and the intention is a provide a comprehensive
" S* w2 j; O; l1 [coverage of issues relevant to stress and its consequences in thin ¯lm materials.8 J8 W5 P  W8 h0 R1 K; C
Adoption of this approach meant that many choices had to be made5 x8 N) P% S$ z& u" A* R
along the way about depth of coverage of speci¯c topics and balance among/ f' o: W4 J# ^2 E- j
di®erent topics; we hope that the readers will judge the choices made to be4 ^1 a  s% m8 r" B
reasonable. The main purpose of the book is the coherent presentation of
, }9 T2 D- H, P! }9 D; d- n* |the sound scienti¯c basis for describing the origins of stress in ¯lms and for3 U- e1 G1 C0 b( I$ d* m
anticipating the consequences of stress in defect formation, surface evolution
9 i- g4 G$ S1 H' YPreface xvii
, F* Z% d# s' I/ _5 L5 Zand allied e®ects. Many references to original work are included as a guide8 m1 G$ I! m+ \/ ^( O
to the archival literature in the area. In addition, the fundamental concepts0 P) L; R2 Q+ z$ W! A
developed are made more concrete through implementation in sample calculations' H7 N: ?7 [( t9 n8 s- I" M" j
and through discussion of case studies of practical signi¯cance. The
' R, Y  G/ `( l7 `  }description of experimental methods, results and observations is included. K5 G2 \( V! O9 r( Q
as an integral part of developing the conceptual structure of the topics examined.
/ X, G" d0 W  ?Each chapter concludes with a set of exercises that further extend
2 e( c( O% K2 J. W# ~( m2 [the material discussed, and which can challenge newcomers to the area at
  F- ^# M) w1 G  K$ p! Wapplying concepts. It is our hope that, with this structure, the book will
5 k$ g# [% @, j4 i4 R0 T' iserve as a research reference for those pursuing the area at its frontiers, as a% Y; Z6 O5 q& d4 B5 h0 {
useful compilation of readily applicable results for practicing engineers, and2 g2 W0 \6 u6 W
as a textbook for graduate students or advanced undergraduate students4 v, W, e0 @/ K* H
wishing to develop background in this area.
- n, {# B$ I$ }8 b1 J5 rThe idea for the book grew out of a course on thin ¯lms that has
) B) q) [3 R# ?been o®ered for students in solid mechanics and materials science at Brown. c9 ^% g( U2 |- f  B3 O
University since 1992, as a natural outgrowth of emerging research activity
; i+ K' K* B, m9 J- d! Bin the area. We are grateful to the many students, postdoctoral research9 O0 n1 l' `0 m' q) r! e$ A  u7 }
associates and colleagues who attended these lectures and whose enthusiasm0 c" F" ~" j. F: J/ B
gave this project its initial impetus.
7 o( I3 ]% w+ e8 bWe are also grateful to many colleagues who have contributed in various
, {/ X5 Q% r/ u2 x" yways to the preparation of this book. We particularly thank John' O" C4 Z  ^" o
Hutchinson who used a draft of parts of the book for a course for graduate
0 O( y6 s8 L8 D8 A3 i7 P, g6 j2 H& |students at Harvard and MIT, and who provided valuable feedback on this4 h# g# |; Q' S# d
material. Both John Hutchinson and Bill Nix kindly shared with us their* h, ^# Y) J, \9 D$ H+ e
own course materials on thin ¯lms. Several colleagues read drafts of various  U  ^+ [4 `& D. p% k9 E  r
sections of the book and o®ered helpful recommendations; they include
1 ]8 h8 j  i$ w2 S0 m* P, f& HIlan Blech, Eric Chason, Ares Rosakis, Vivek Shenoy and Carl Thompson.
; B0 T/ ]' q, ?' A8 {Several graduate students who took courses based in part on draft chapters,
& n% V, }7 B3 `; fparticularly Yoonjoon Choi and Nuwong Chollacoop, suggested a number of% k  ~: I: C; i: b8 |: C
clari¯cations and improvements in the presentation. Finally, we are grateful7 d& \$ v( s7 B. V& n) G
to the many colleagues who provided ¯gures and micrographs from their3 h% ?' \. p7 V
own work; in these cases, acknowledgments are noted along with the included
) U# j+ ^8 u5 @  Rmaterial. Tim Fishlock at Cambridge University Press o®ered us
2 e- [/ Y2 C) F4 ]' x3 ]  Rconsiderable °exibility in the formulation of the scope of this book and in% q' N" H9 j2 O  ^) ^5 B
the preparation of the document.
1 Y* D. V' W8 N0 h: K/ `$ o; jLBF is grateful to the Materials Research Science and Engineering! D4 v3 G7 y8 @/ f$ D( X" f1 {$ l
Center, funded by the National Science Foundation at Brown University,
2 a: X% L, X& Ifor long-term support of research in the general area of thin ¯lms and for
0 C, W8 G8 U7 l; d; wthe collaborations fostered through the Center. He is also thankful to the
, G/ B2 B; ?1 m$ p/ T( H5 \& y2 _; f! [Division of Engineering and Applied Sciences at Caltech for hosting a sabxviii" U' V: o8 q+ T* l; Y1 e4 c  n
Preface
  u9 J! ]& J3 Wbatical leave; the kind hospitality and congenial environment a®orded an
( O( V8 J! j' m& q5 aopportunity for pursuing the book writing project at its early critical stage.
; _8 t% O/ v) V/ L/ Y4 n, jSS is grateful to the Defense University Research Initiative in NanoTechnology,* m9 n1 j7 l7 Q# {$ T
funded by the O±ce of Naval Research at MIT, and the Programme on* M& |8 N1 h% {3 ^! s( c
Advanced Materials for Micro and Nano Systems, funded by the Singapore-
; T4 W) z# W" M. Z- FMIT Alliance, for their ¯nancial support for research in the areas covered  U( Y' h1 G6 P5 H
by the book.
1 V7 ]* Q9 d  c! B. rA project of this magnitude would not have been possible without
* G6 G- L% w6 `0 F, X+ nthe support and encouragement of the members of our families. We are
" O% @1 [( A7 {9 ?' p' _- dextremely grateful for their enduring patience and understanding during
/ H2 ^0 f) _/ W) t  Dour long hours of immersion in this project over the past several years.  h; O* [* k, a7 q, A- P, h
L. B. Freund and S. Suresh
$ J6 F8 y, y6 H1 Y" \3 j0 @January 2003
发表于 2006-4-11 22:27:45 | 显示全部楼层
顶啊
发表于 2006-4-12 04:06:58 | 显示全部楼层
好象这里挺热闹的。
发表于 2006-4-12 04:08:52 | 显示全部楼层
确实不错,支持
发表于 2006-4-12 04:09:19 | 显示全部楼层
应该还有后文吧
发表于 2006-4-12 04:09:51 | 显示全部楼层
期待楼主的新帖
发表于 2006-4-13 23:41:59 | 显示全部楼层
我顶
发表于 2006-4-15 10:43:33 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢楼主,收藏了
发表于 2006-4-23 23:22:00 | 显示全部楼层
楼主何不做个好事,把书发出来,让我们来下载呀
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

本站邀请注册说明!

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|光学薄膜信息网  

GMT+8, 2024-6-26 21:08 , Processed in 0.041472 second(s), 18 queries .